There was a time when we used to burn the leaves, twigs and yard debris accumulating in our backyard. But people have become more environment conscious and have also opened up to the various nutrient rich benefits of using debris as mulch or compost.
Such factors have led to the increase in popularity of chippers which can remove the debris while transforming small twigs and branches into fine wood chips.
You can ultimately use the nutrient-rich mulch for your garden or flowerbeds.
Today we are going to take a look at ten of the best wood chippers in the market as well as its buying guide, and if you are looking for cheaper options then you can look at our list of best wood chipper under $500 in which we have listed some of the best affordable wood chippers for home use.
Points to Consider While Buying a Wood Chipper
Safety Precautions To Consider While Using A Wood Chipper
The safety precautions required out of a wood chipper has a directly proportional relationship with its power level.
But at the end of the day, all chippers are extremely powerful tools and you need to be cautious with its usage. For starters, we have collated a list of a few safety tips you need to keep in mind.
- It is always preferable to stick to lighter loads while using the wood chipper. Feeding heavier chunks of wood can cause the chipped materials to be discharged backwards especially when the chipper operates at high speed. A chipper which discharges larger chunks of materials might lead to blunt force trauma.
- The clothes you wear need to be such that it doesn’t get caught in the machine. Loose clothes might add up to your overall risk. You should make it a point to either stick to tighter garments or tuck it inside your shirt. Loose hanging cuffs or dangling jewellery also become a strict no-no. This also holds true for loose straps, belts or ties. They need to be avoided as they are highly vulnerable to getting caught in the machine and increasing chances of accident. If you have long hair or beard, then it is advisable to tie it up and wear a hat or beard net.
- Protective gears are an absolute must while using a wood chipper. Safety glasses can keep your eyes buffered from materials which are tossed around by the chipper blades. People using powerful gas driven chippers should make it a point to use ear protection while using the same. Wearing a hard hat can keep your hair protected from the incoming debris while steel-toed safety boots cater to the well-being of your legs.
- Once you are done using the wood chipper, you need to clean the device and the surrounding area. This also holds true before starting out with its operation. Filters of the wood chipper can clog as bits of debris and woods accumulate around the blades. It becomes necessary to sharpen the blades every 10 to 15 hours. For this, you can use a wet grinder or take them to the machinist’s shop. Following a proper a maintenance schedule can ensure that the machine operates seamlessly without posing any safety threats.
- Inspection of spark plugs might reveal corrosion on the wide end. On seeing any sign of corrosion, you will have to replace the same immediately. These parts are inexpensive in nature and can be easily replaced with minimal spending.
- The greatest accidents occur while feeding the wood chipper. You should make it a point to use a broomstick or long branch for pushing materials inside the chipper. This becomes extremely crucial while making use of a powerful chipper. You should also be cautious about not getting your hands near the blade. Proper caution should also be taken around the hopper and chute area.
You need to be extremely focused while working on a wood chipper as even the most minor accidents can lead to serious damage.
At the end of the day we all wish to have a beautiful home and a wood chipper can serve as the perfect ally in the beautification drive of your garden.
It can also help you in getting the job done in a fast and effective manner. However, you also need to be extremely cautious about the post usage clean-up for best results.
Disclaimer : Price Last update on 2020-05-30 / Affiliate links / Price / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API